Wednesday 18 April 2012

Camouflaged Potatoes



In Science right now we are learning about plant and animal adaptations.  There are two types of adaptations: structural and behavioural.  One structural adaptation we discussed was camouflage.  Animals that use camouflage are able to blend in with their environments to keep them safe from predators or to catch food.

To demonstrate their understanding of this concept, I challenged students to camouflage a potato.  I know, I know, potatoes don't actually use camouflage, but they are the perfect size for hiding on the schoolyard (and I don't think students' pets would have liked being painted green very much!).  The designated hiding area was along the schoolyard fence, which is covered in bushes, in the grass or in the sandpit.

The students outdid themselves and the potatoes looked fantastic!  They were covered with all sorts of leaves, grass, sand, twigs and even a piece of "litter" (very creative, Ryan A.!)   With great excitement we went out to "hide"  the potatoes.  Our Grade One buddies then got to go on a hunt for the camouflaged treasures.  They thoroughly enjoyed running around searching with gusto for the potatoes.  All were eventually found except one (even the owner of the potato couldn't find it again!); I think that one will end up like the one Easter egg you find in July, an unexpected surprise.  :-)

Here are some photos of our potatoes. Unfortunately, I was short on time, so I didn't get as many photos as I would have liked. There are not any photos of the Grade Ones hunting because I don't have permission from the parents to post them on the blog.



 



3 comments:

  1. The pics are nice Ms.Birdsall!!!Jas

    ReplyDelete
  2. try to find poato. it really discised like really camophlashed. its really cool ms.Birdsall -Ryan.A-

    ReplyDelete
  3. really cool! my class is doing the same project right now, except we're camouflaging ours in boxes, about 30cm by 30cm. I liked some of the ideas you mentioned at the top.

    ReplyDelete